Distracted Driving: Are We Making Progress?
Written By Frank Bentley
So all month I have been writing and researching distracted driving. I truly hope this helps to shine a light on how important this topic is to lots of people in the area.
While distracted driving continues to be an enormous problem, one promising statistic from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration(NHTSA) indicates that more people are recognizing the dangers:
- Distraction-related deaths decreased by 2.2% over 2015
When people see this statistic, I hope they pat themselves on the back, but remember that we still need to carefully consider our driving behaviors in all areas.
- 3,450 people died due to distracted driving in 2016
- 803 people died due to drowsy-driving in 2016
- 10,497 people died due to drunk-driving in 2016
- 10,111 people died due to speeding-related accidents in 2016
- 10,428 people died due to being unbelted in a vehicle in 2016
- 5,286 people died on motorcycles (the most since 2008) in 2016
- 5,987 people died as pedestrians in 2016
- 840 people died while bicycling on our roads in 2016
47,402 lives could have been saved with just a little bit of work.
Are you treating our roads with the respect they need?
If you enjoyed this article please consider sharing it for your friends!